Sunday, May 3, 2009

Wall-E, Work, Girlfriend, and New Shorts

Stories are going well so far. Same old, same old on that part.

Saw Wall-E about three times at work. Really love it. It's unseated The Dark Knight in the position of my favorite movie ever. It's just a really stellar movie overall. Wall-E himself is really great, quite possibly the greatest protagonist I've ever seen. He doesn't have an overbearing personality and he's not out for any big thing. He's cute and curious, and all he wants is to be with EVE, and he tries so hard to do that. When he got [spoiler alert] crushed and then lost his memory of EVE and all his knicknacks, I seriously shed a tear. He's such a lovable guy, it's impossible not to love him.

I don't have to go back to work until Thursday, thank goodness. Our manager comes back on Monday, and I don't want to be around while she's getting the store back to how she wants it to run. I can only hope that Alco higher-ups decide to have pity on us and have Charlie come back. He was nice and cool, and we actually got tons of stuff done. Oh well, I suppose that pigs also might fly. That would be cool.

Today my girlfriend will hopefully ask her dad if I can come up during August. I really hope he says yes. Though I'm not exactly enthusiastic about the East Coast, having previously vowed never to cross the Mississippi going east, I'm willing to ignore that for her. She's worth it. It'll really be an adventure going out and doing things with her like a regular couple. I'm looking forward to it.

Working on creating a fantasy world to set short stories in. It seems that anytime anyone creates a fantasy world, they feel the need to write long, epic, multi-part novels in it. Why has no one really written short stories in a obviously fantasy world? Maybe it's because they go to all that trouble to create the world and want to exploit it as best they can. That's all fine and good. But I want to experiment with short fantasy that doesn't sound like Neil Gaiman. He's a fabulous author, don't get me wrong, and that's why I want to experiment with that, because I don't think you can get much better than him. He's pretty much got a monopoly on writing short modern fantasy stories that are set somewhat in our world. So, I'm going to branch off and see what I can do with my ideas. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment