Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thoughts and Thanks

Music of the Moment: Illusion and Dream by Poets of the Fall

The days are getting even shorter. Five days until I go to Hawaii.

Trying to work out a short story. I'll get to An Iron Sea at some point this evening, but for now I want to start a short story, since those are my bread and butter. Part of me wants to try steampunk, part of me wants to try some post apocalyptic punk, part of me wants to try a mixture of those two, part of me wants to go with a story about a boy who has an orca merman friend and who wants to become one so he can be with his friend better, and part of me wants to do that and have steampunk in it. So you see, I've got so many ideas churning around, that it's kind of paralyzing me. Further brainstorming will iron out most of my problems, I think. I just need something to work on during the eight hour plane flight to Honolulu. I've got some e-books, but I'm not sure how I'll be able to take take reading things like that from a computer screen.

Had Johanna Harness, one of the people I follow on Twitter, look at some of my writing. I'd been putting together something about an adolescent mutant-type creature, and had been updating the #amwriting group about it. She expressed an interest in it, so I sent her the manuscript. She pointed out some things she found that didn't really work and suggested that I keep it around as a character sketch. And, in the end, that's an assessment I agree with. But, she did offer quite a bit of useful advice, so I'm very grateful to her. Check her out at @johannaharness on Twitter. Tell her I sent you. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment