Friday, October 23, 2009

Snorkeling and Creep

So, I went snorkeling today. Saw many scorpion fish, about 3 or so. Also saw some rock-boring sea urchins, some brittle stars, some Moorish Idols, those triggerfish with the really long Hawaiian name, a hermit crab with sea anemones, and a bristle worm. It was all very fun and I can't wait to go out and do it again next week. Really awesome time. :)

Still poking at Hearts in the Sea. It's coming along all right, so far. All I'm really doing is poking at sentences here and there, though I've managed to make it about a thousand words longer just by doing that. There are a handful of scenes that I want to add as well, but I can't really seem to get them put in. Oh well, I will get it at some point, haha.

I've also been told I should finish Creep. For those of you who don't know what Creep is, it's a story about this kid who is thrown into a 1920s style city full of fantasy creatures. Some of these creatures have killed his sister pretty horribly, so he's there to kill quite a few of them. He wears black bandages wrapped around his head and calls himself Creep. Basically, the entire story is a study in vengeance, showing what happens when someone decides that someone has done something worthy of dying.

I posted about ten chapters of it on YWS, but stopped after that. People didn't really like it because it was written in a very pulp style. There was too much action, and not enough talking and getting to know Creep. Which I thought was hilarious, kind of. There's nothing to get to know about Creep. He's a bad guy, consumed in his vengeance. And, I argue that being unsure about a character is good. If you know too much, then there are no surprises.

But, someone has been telling me I need to finish Creep. And I would really like to. His story really interests me and I would enjoy writing it. It's just, I am afraid of people deconstructing it and down-talking it because it is written in the pulp style. I like my pulp. It's a lot more fun to read than a lot of the legitimate stuff that's out there, I can say that much. So, I may try again, or I may just hold off. If I do choose to hold off, it's all right. I've got a million other projects to work on, including my epic. So, it would be no great loss to postpone finishing Creep for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment