Thursday, November 5, 2009

Writing, Hating Writing, and Turning Older

So, I have reached 20k on my NaNo! Yay!

I have lined out a list of my long projects for the future. These will be the novel-length stories that I write. I'm not going to try to plan out what short stories I do though. I plan on just doing those sporadically, during the longer projects, when I need a short break. My list so far:

Mercy of the Void: Current NaNo, first story in my epic
Varia: A story about a thief who wakes up to find he's become a girl
Sound of Drums: Next story in my epic
Sea-Song: A story about the sudden sentience of whales and dolphins
The Long Road: Last story in my epic
Creep: Old story I'll be ready to finish by that time
Dark Town: A supernatural story set in a small town
Canter: A fantasy romance of sorts

I need to get this list laid out and set pretty clear in my head though. If I don't, I might not get anything written. And, I can't do that. I've got to get this stuff all written out. So, getting a schedule of sorts prioritized in my head is the proper thing to do.

Had a talk with my writing teacher yesterday. Found out I have to both change the topic of my paper and, as a consequence of that, I have to redo half of the homework I have already turned in if I want a better grade. I do, so I'll go ahead and redo everything. Part of this is my own fault, for not understanding and not trying to clarify that misunderstanding.

I just wish that there wasn't so much of an emphasis on non-fiction writing in college. I hate non-fiction writing. It's horrible and boring. All I'm doing is looking up facts that other people have already found out and copying them down again, with the proper citations of course. There's no imagination in that, no fun at all. I don't see much of a draw to it, and I can't understand why people are all so crazy about writing these things. You should be out discovering new things for yourself, not simply retreading all this old stuff.

I also need to type out a waka poem and a paper explaining it for my World Literature class. That's due next Monday, but I figure getting it done today would be better than doing it over the weekend. This weekend is reserved for math, NaNo, and redoing writing homework, in that order.

On another note, Monday is my birthday! Yay! I won't be celebrating it though. Mom is sending a care package to me, but that's about it. I don't have the money to celebrate it, really. Besides, it's just a birthday. I'll go to class and stuff just like any other day.

Well that's about it for me this time. I've got to go to writing class next. Joy and wonder, undoubtedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment