Wednesday, November 4, 2009

NaNo, Characters, Haikus

So, already 16k into my NaNo. This number pleases me. It's not as far along as some are. I know of one person who finished already. But, I don't begrudge them that. I am satisfied with where I am at with my NaNo. It still means that I will get done early, and that makes me very happy.

Brainstormed over a potential new story idea. I'm going to talk about some of the characters that might be involved, since they're about all that I've got at the moment.

Cunningham is a teenage genius. He got this way via reading voraciously at every opportunity he got, and applying the knowledge that he acquired. He likes to play with people by manipulating them along to see what they will do. He likes to dress in nice clothes, and almost always in the color green. To see him in any other color is a rare thing. His nice appearance hides the fact that he does not have a great many of the same morals that most people do. He has only two real rules: Never harm a child or the innocence of a child, and deal violently with the perverts of the world.

Erica Patterson is also a teenage genius. She got that way due to her parents home-schooling her and focusing her attention on learning. She believes in rules and patterns, and tries to manipulate people to follow them, since she does not believe that people are inherently good. She does not care to dress up very well, but is a very moral person. She is also a black belt in Muay Thai.

Cunningham and Erica come into conflict because Cunningham dislikes Erica's obsession with following predictable patterns, and Erica dislike's Cunningham's seeming lack of morals. They often match wits and try to outdo each other. However, while they maintain an adversarial relationship, they do not go to the extremes with it, merely using the intellect of the other as an opportunity to test and strengthen their own.

So, those are the two main characters. There are supporting casts for the both of them, each one unique in itself. But, I can't really think of any story ideas to go with these characters. I came up with a kind of throwaway one about Cunningham coming into possession of a locket that changes his gender, and I was told by one of my two main editors that I should go with that. And, I will try it, I think. Only after my NaNo is done though. I'm not going to drop out of that anytime soon.

My writing teacher wants to meet with me tomorrow at one o'clock. I don't know about that. I've never had a teacher be all, "I would like to speak with you," to me and have it be good. Someone said that they probably just want to do what teachers usually do when they talk to parents in high school. Somehow that just doesn't make me feel any better about the whole thing. Oh well. I will go and do it and then it will be over and I will be done.

for the orca knows truth
strips meat and color from bone
he is the winter


Yay for me and haiku! I like to write some every now and then. I don't consider myself very good at it, but that one right there is one of my better ones. I'm quite proud of it.

And, on that note. farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment